Pages

Friday, May 5, 2017

Friday Funnies

Wonder if this fellow specializes in medical malpractice?

Seeing this office sign in CT last weekend reminded me of a 1940s song that I had heard about titled "Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief." It was unexpected to see 2 out of those 3 covered here in this NJ signage. (It was across the street from the hotel where we stayed overnight.)

"Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief" was a popular song published in 1945, with music by Hoagy Carmichael and lyrics by Paul Francis Webster. The title and lyrics are a play on the popular counting game "Tinker, Tailor." 

The biggest-selling version of the song was recorded by Betty Hutton on June 29, 1945 and released by Capitol Records. The recording reached the Billboard magazine charts on December 6, 1945; it lasted 17 weeks on the chart, peaking at #1. And here it is:


9 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I don't remember the song but I do remember saying Rich Man Poor Man beggar man Thief doctor lawyer Indian chief as a child

Emma Springfield said...

Of course I remember the song. Silly songs are my passion. I have heard of malpractice attorneys who also hold medical degrees. It's a little scary.

William Kendall said...

Curious combination of professions.

Anonymous said...

I do remember the song!
Happy weekend.

Connie said...

That is odd that someone could practice both of those professions. Especially since both can be quite time-consuming. I don't remember the song.

baili said...

such songs awake a child inside me!
what an amusing tune and interesting story telling through joyful moves and voices .
truly enjoyed it ,thank you that you shared my friend!

DeniseinVA said...

Great sign, don't think I have ever heard that song, though it might be a memory thing. Happy weekend to you both :)

Ginnie said...

I love the way that you find humor in unusual places !

Anonymous said...

He probably does do malpractice! Living near Philadelphia for many years (out in Delaware), there were many doctors who had both degrees. They must be pretty smart!
Andrea