Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Here We Go Again

We, like countless others, have been watching the unfolding (and unceasing) news and weather reports about Hurricane Irma, the second devastating storm in as many weeks after Harvey slammed Taxes. "Irma" has already devastated the Caribbean country of Barbuda and parts of Antigua, striking at Puerto Rico and threatening havoc in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Cuba and possibly the Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Once again, the U.S. mainland is in its sights as it gathers strength and potentially causes catastrophic damages and flooding in Florida and other other states.

Sometimes, we wonder what's worse — the impending storms or the unceasing news coverage. While the dissemination of information is vital during such events, it can also be quite unnerving and worrisome to many.


Internet source
Here's a suggestion: if you have family and/or friends living in or near any of the targeted storm path, why not call them or send an email or text message to let them know you were concerned about them. And, if possible, you might also ask them to let you know they're safe after the storm.

Yesterday and today, we contacted family and friends in FL and GA. A couple of them told us that they were not in harm's way, but appreciated the contact. Another relative is sheltering in place in VA where she was visiting family; she's safe, but very anxious about her FL home.

And, it helped us feel better too.
You and others might feel the same.

10 comments:

Emma Springfield said...

It looks like two more are coming in right after Irma. It boggles the mind.

MadSnapper said...

we are watching and waiting and I am fretting over storms and my hubby. I wish I could fast forward a couple of weeks. I am checking in with the weather when I wake up and before I go to bed, the watching all the storms and damage is making me crazy

mamasmercantile said...

Such worrying times for so many. My heart goes out to all those affected.

Doris said...

I confess to just staying in touch with the news with my local newspaper app and local TV station app. We don't watch the news on TV with children here. There is too much on it that worries the kids! we have a niece in Tampa area. They are thinking about going to my sister in GA. We hope and pray for safety for them and their lakeside home which they just purchased this year.

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, we are staying in touch with friends in harm's way again. We have friends in both Texas and Florida so it has been a double whammy. So far, so good with most of them. I'm quite concerned about some friends in Florida who will be sheltering in place over the weekend. I'll be glad to know when they are OK after the storm.

Valerie said...

UK television is dedicated to keeping us up to date with Irma news etc and I think of all my blogging friends who are in the line of fire - so to speak. It is a worrying time.

baili said...

I am so sorry about the storms that are harming some areas in your part of land my friend.

Here though we hear about them but not in detailed way.

hope Irma passes away smoothly without causing damage .
Feeling sorry for ,people who were in the way of this destruction ,may they find peace soon in their lives.
you are very right about staying connect with family and friend to stay informed and alert

Anvilcloud said...

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as thought.

possum said...

Good advice to contact friends and family.......
My Boy Bobby moved from Fla last year. I was soooo glad to have him out of that state... but he went to Kansas where I have to worry about tornadoes.
seems like no place is safe anymore.

William Kendall said...

Two more to come. This one's a monster.