Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Homemade Sunday Sauce

This past Labor Day holiday weekend is traditionally a day of barbecues and picnics for the last hurrah of summer. But, Sunday was rainy and cool, the perfect time for comfort food, like homemade tomato sauce (gravy if you prefer) and lasagna. 

There's always several cans of crushed tomatoes along with a couple jars of store bought tomato sauce in our pantry. But homemade is always preferred and it was the usual fare in my childhood home.

(The recipe below was adapted from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis.)

Marinara Sauce (non-meat)
This basic tomato sauce uses ingredients that are most likely already in your refrigerator or pantry. It's fairly easy to make and is very versatile. And, any leftover sauce can be refrigerated or frozen.
  • 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 2 TBSP chopped fresh basil and oregano, if available
  • 2 (32 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onions and garlic and sauté about 10 minutes until onions are translucent.
  3. Add celery, carrots, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, basil and oregano (if using). Sauté until vegetables are soft.
  4. Add tomatoes and bay leaves, let come to a low boil, then lower heat and simmer about an hour over low heat until sauce thickens.
  5. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
There's nothing as delicious as homemade sauce served over a tray of (also homemade) lasagna.
And leftovers are even better, just ask us.

15 comments:

Kathy said...

This sounds good and easy.

MadSnapper said...

Oh yum yum this looks fantastic and it's actually legal for our food plan. I know I would love it

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds and looks delicious.

Blogoratti said...

It looks really nice and so good of you to share. Greetings!

Emma Springfield said...

You make me hungry for meatballs in marinara. Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin.

Ginnie said...

It looks wonderful but I am lazy when it comes to tomato sauce ... I like Newmans Own Tomato & Basil !

DeniseinVA said...

That does look delicious. I am bookmarking this recipe. Thanks Dorothy :)

L. D. said...

You sure did make me hungry. I may have to go find some cold leftover pizza, not time to make lasagna.

Doris said...

The sauce sounds wonderful and seems pretty easy too. Sadly, I have never made a good lasagna. Like it, just can't make a good one.

Lady Jane said...

Lord, it is midnite and I am reading this post and now I am hungry!!! That looks sooooooooo good!!! Hugs, lj

Valerie said...

That lasagna looks delicious. I haven't made one but I might give it a try.

Anonymous said...

YUM! And yes, you are right (as usual) the leftovers are even better!!!...:)JP

Anonymous said...

It sounds like an easy recipe and it looks good, too.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this as I like trying different recipes!

William Kendall said...

Looks good!