Pages

Monday, September 4, 2017

Who Ya Gonna Call?

When you accidentally break a part on one of your favorite and much used kitchen appliances. And, it happens on a Sunday on a holiday weekend (Labor Day in the U.S.) ?
This KitchenAid food chopper is a compact unit with a 3-cup capacity and a single chopping blade. Its (much) larger counterpart is stored away and used for larger chopping jobs. This small one is handy for chopping smaller amounts of vegetables, especially those calling for onions, garlic, carrots and celery.

After using it to chop veggies on Sunday, I washed it (parts can be placed in the dishwasher) and placed the bowl and top lid on the unit. 

For some unknown (to me) reason, I pressed on the lid which resulted in a cracking sound (not good). As a safety measure, the lid dome has an side extension that locks the bowl in place before the unit can be operated. I'd accidentally cracked a piece of that locking mechanism and without it the unit won't turn on. 
Checked the user manual and saw the purchase date was in 2002 — 15 years ago and it's still working. Sort of lends credence to the thought that things built years ago last longer!

Apparently, that's too long a lifespan for a small kitchen appliance, according to KitchenAid website. Checked there for parts availability and the chopper was listed as "obsolete." KitchenAid no longer carries replacement parts, but you can buy a newer one.

More  online checking and I found a site Appliance Parts Pros which not only provided an online parts search, but also offered Customer Support 7 days week and 365-day returns. 

Called on Sunday, spoke to Robert in customer service and a replacement lid will arrive in 5-7 days. According to the reviews, this company has a lot of satisfied customers, now including myself. If you're ever in a similar situation with an appliance, check out this site. It was less costly than replacing the whole unit.

What's not to like?
Less costly than a new one; total cost including shipping = $16.40. Hopefully, the chopper will last a few more years. Because . . . "they don't make them like they used to."

What about you — any repair stories of your own?

10 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I love a sad story with a happy ending. wildly clapping for good service from Robert.

Blogoratti said...

It sounds like the guys know what they are doing. Good to know it's all sorted out and your part will arrive, savin you having to buy a new machine.
Warm greetings.

Christina said...

I am pleased that you could buy a replacement part. I am a big fan of fixing things if possible at all. x

Lois Evensen said...

How great you could get the part!

I'm still using my Mom's Sunbeam Mixmaster - it's Harvest Gold. Remember that color? I think that was the color of choice in the 60's. What I'm finding harder and harder to find now are the mixing bowls in both sizes. There's another mixing bowl for the Sunbeam Mixmaster, but it doesn't sit the old model. *sigh* Will I have to buy a new one? I sure hope not! I'm down to one large bowl and two smaller bowls.

Valerie said...

You were lucky. If that had happened to me I wouldn't have found the answer!

Anonymous said...

Hope that you get more use out of it now that it is fixed.

Love Affair with Food said...

Awesome that you got it fixed. I would have just set it aside without trying to fix :(

DeniseinVA said...

Great tip! Thanks for the link. I have the larger appliance stored away that wouldn't work. I ought to bring it out and look at that locking mechanism too.

L. D. said...

Our old one finally was shipped out. Our new one is great and it is red.

William Kendall said...

That sounds entirely reasonable.