Pages

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

It's Banana Bread Time (Again)

Welcome to November (already). It's the perfect time for me to get back to baking. Fall🍁temperatures finally are getting seasonal here in Nashua, NH and those 70-degree temperatures in October will be just a memory by the end of this week. It will also be darker early as daylight saving time ends on the first Sunday in November, when clocks are moved back an hour. 

Now that Halloween🎃tricks are over, here's a treat to enjoy.

Before posting this recipe, I checked on how many times this blog has included a similar recipe. It was four times (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2016) Not sure how I skipped a few years cause we usually have some over-ripe bananas that need to be used quickly. The choices (according to Grenville) are banana bread or banana bread. (You get the idea he likes it.)

Previous recipes from various cookbooks and online had results ranging from great to OK

This one was not only very good, but easy too It's from a cookbook in my collection, The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day. This was a requested birthday gift a few years ago. There's no glossy photos in this book, just a no-frills approach in its nearly 600 pages.

The recipe gave a choice of using either 1 large loaf (9x5x3 in.) or up to 4 smaller ones, depending on the size pan. I opted for 2 smaller pans which were the same volume as the larger 9x5 in. pan. 

Banana Bread (Martha Stewart)
  • 1/4 lb unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temp.
  • 1 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 C mashed very ripe bananas 
  • 1/2 C sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C chopped walnuts or pecans
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter pan (s)
  2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well.
  3. Stir dry ingredients together and combine with butter mixture. Blend well.
  4. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir well.
  5. Stir in nuts and pour into prepared pan(s).
  6. Bake 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Turn out onto a rack to cool, then enjoy (but wait till it cools).
Grenville and I enjoyed this treat with of glass of milk. That's healthy, isn't it?

11 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That looks delicious! I haven't made banana bread for a long time. Now you have me thinking... -Jenn

Christine said...

Delicious! I love banana bread & this one looks moist the way I like it!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This looks so good! I will have to use Splenda in my recipes now instead of sugar, but I don't think there will be a huge difference. The recipe I use for banana bread also calls for sour cream. I do think it makes the bread more moist and good. Enjoy your week!

William Kendall said...

I've always loved banana bread.

Lynn said...

Yum. And I have that cookbook, too. I also like to make an orange/cranberry bread - recipe was on the back of the Ocean Spray cranberries bag.

Emma Springfield said...

I love banana bread and make it often. A small store nearby gives away the slightly over-ripe bananas rather than throw them away. So my banana bread costs me very little.

DeniseinVA said...

Banana Bread for the soul :) If it's good for the soul it's healthy.

My name is Erika. said...

OK, I think I need to buy some bananas and make some banana bread also. I have this cookbook so I knew where to fin the recipe. Yours looks soooo delicious!

Valerie said...

It so happens that I have some bananas... the question is do I make bread or just eat them.

Pam said...

Love banana bread. Made some not too long ago, also pumpkin bread. Tonight I made Rosemary bread. That was a first for me.

baili said...

My son who lives in Germany told me that there clocks have been moved back too so our communication times are also changed .

my younger boys love bananas and thank you for sharing this great recipe .
i must try it for them