Pages

Monday, January 8, 2018

In It to Win It

Did you hear the BIG news this weekend ?
A Powerball ticket matched all six numbers to win the $570 million jackpot. The cash value of the jackpot would be at least $300 million if taken as a lump sum. A Powerball winner can take the jackpot in 30 annual payments or a one-time payment in cash.
The ticket was sold here in NH. And we bought a ticket on Saturday before the drawing, because after all "you have to be in it to win it."
The prize drawing on Saturday night was the second-largest for a single winner in Powerball history and the seventh-largest in U.S. lottery history.
The winning numbers were 12, 29, 30, 33, 61 and Powerball 26.
Did we win?
We did not. These were not the numbers on our ticket — not a single one matched.
What are the odds of winning?
More than being struck by lightning it seems. The odds of being struck by lightning in the U.S. in a given year are about 1 in 1 million. By comparison, the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are estimated at 1 in 292.2 million.
We're out $2. 
Anyone want to float us a loan for the next time?

12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It can be fun to buy a ticket, but I shake my head when I see people buying a bunch of them. It doesn't really increase the odds much.

Michelle said...

Better luck next time!

Emma Springfield said...

Well I didn't win either. Too bad you did not. I would have liked to be able to say in an off-handed way,"Oh sure. I know the winner of the lottery."

Connie said...

We played too, and also didn't match a single number.

William Kendall said...

The highest jackpot I can recall here was 64 million dollars, after there had been weeks with no winners on that game.

L. D. said...

It all is a money frenzy and it is fun to watch. I wished that you had won and then you could get your two bucks back!!!!

Valerie said...

'Keep trying' is all I can say! Seriously, I've been there, done that, and never won so in the end I gave it up as a bad job.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

My husband buys a ticket most every week, which is hysterical because he is not a risk taker (other than working high on top of our barn) or gambler in any way. And then we have fun playing what would we do if we won. It's cheap entertainment really.

baili said...

my mom used to buy one in a year ,but we never tried .
sorry you could not my friend but if there is something in your part it will come to you anyway though may be from the different source

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Oh, how I wish you could have won! Hope this finds you staying warm!

Ludwig said...

Shucks, I had been cheering that it was you! Too bad. Well, maybe not. If you had won it wouldn't be long before you discovered that you had more friends than dollars!

Lynn said...

I wish you had won. I play the lottery with the pressmen here at the printing company - if we won I would love to be on the news, all lined up in front of the large press. I'd be the first to raise my hand that I was resigning. :)